Home and Natural Remedies to Treat Dry Hair
Treat dry hair feels like straw and is not liked by anyone. Anyone who has dry hair is on the lookout for products or remedies to treat it and make it healthy again. Dry hair is not usually caused by natural or genetic issues, but is rather the result of hair products like colors and dyes, pool chlorine, hair treatments like perming, an excessive amount of exposure to sun and air, and the excessive usage of hair styling appliances like straighteners and curling irons.
Remedies and Tips for Dry Hair
Although there are numerous products touted to treat dry hair and make it healthy again, there are some natural and home remedies that can be used to treat dry hair. These home remedies are cheap to try and don’t have any harmful side effects either, which is why most people tend to prefer using home remedies instead of products that could have some damaging side effects. Here are some natural home remedies for dry hair:
- Wash your hair as normal and then, apply about a tbsp. of mayonnaise on your hair. It is preferable to use a diet or low cholesterol mayonnaise. After applying mayonnaise, wrap your hair with a plastic bag and let it sit for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then, clean your hair again with shampoo and rinse properly.
- Whisk egg in a cup of warm water and apply it on hair. Mildly massage the egg into your hair and then, rinse with warm water. You don’t want to wash your hair after shampooing it.
- Take a ripe banana and half a ripe avocado. The more ripe the banana and avocado is, the better. Mix both of them together until they are pureed. Then, apply this mixture onto your hair, let it sit for 15 minutes and wash your hair.
- Heat 3tbsp of almond oil or olive oil, and apply it on your hair. Wrap your hair with a shower cap or plastic bag when you apply the hot oil and wait for 15 to 20 minutes. Then, wash your hair with a light shampoo.
- Whisk 2 eggs together with a tbsp. of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and glycerol. Apply it on your hair after shampooing and washing, and leave it on for half an hour. Then, wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Tips to Prevent Dry Hair
You can also take some measures to make sure your hair doesn’t become dry. Here are some tips to prevent dry hair:
- Avoid washing your hair regularly every day since it removes the essential oils in your hair. Therefore, it is recommended that you wash your hair only 2 to 3 times a week.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair. It is recommended that you only try shampoos that have a pH between 4.5 and 6.7 in order to avoid dry hair. That makes it a moderate acid cleanser, which makes the hair look shiny and feel smooth.
- Use conditioner in your hair, but make sure that it has the least number of alcohol since alcohol can dry out your hair. Also, be sure that your conditioner is not too fragrant as fragrances are bad for your dry hair.
- Use proper brushes on your hair. Brushes with boar bristles are perfect for your hair since the bristles are soft, flexible and gentle on the hair.
- It is recommended to massage your scalp while shampooing to support the oil-producing glands in your scalp. To try it, use your finger tips to gently massage your scalp while shampooing.
- Cut the damaged ends regularly. Dry hair is usually more damaged at the ends, so it is suggested that you cut the dull ends at least once every six weeks.
- Try to style your hair without using heat. The heat can dry out your hair, so avoid using straighteners, curling irons or blow dryers on your hair. It is better if you use other ways to style your hair like using rollers or sleeping with damp braids. However, if you still want to use heat to blow dry your hair, it is advisable that you only use a hand dryer in the down position to avoid stretching or pulling your hair.
- Protect your hair from the elements since too much exposure to the sun and air can damage your hair. Therefore, you should wear a hat in light windy days, in summers as well as in winters.
- Never swim without covering your head since the chlorine in the pool can damage and dry hair. Therefore, you should always swim with a swimming cap. For extra protection, you could also apply a little olive oil to your hair before putting on the swimming cap.
- Don’t brush excessively. Since dry hair is so delicate, excessive brushing may damage your hair. Therefore, it is suggested that you brush your hair softly and never do it when your hair is wet.